04 February 2012

Creative Copy Challenge - My Entries

I love writing especially when it means I get to make stuff up as I go. The Creative Copy Challenge website is perfect for this. Every Monday and Thursday they post ten random words and it's up to us the readers to create stories using those ten words. It is pretty fun to do especially when you create an on-going series. It's been awhile since I last showed my face over there, but in 2012 I hope to be more active. Here's to more crazy writings in the new year. Below I have pasted my past entries - all three of them. FYI - the bolded words are the chosen ten I have to include. Don't pay them any attention I suppose.

Enjoy. Can't wait to continue the writing. See you on Monday.

#1 -- With a chance of happenstance, I stumbled upon an elderly ecstatic moviegoer one night. His eyes were luminous with joy as he walked alongside me, amongst the theater filled with chaos.He didn’t see the screaming maniacal children running around the place as any distraction at all. He spoke rapidly about the potential of this new movie and his favoritism of the lead actress. I nodded along as we walked to the same movie, him briefly stopping to admire the cascade of flowers covering the newly installed waterfall/art piece. In my mind, he just wanted to slyly stop and catch his breath. Never one to break his movie schedule however, he quickly regained his pace, hoping to get his usual perfect seat.

As I sat down next to my newfound movie friend, I seemed to notice a personal trend: I make friends with strangers no matter where I go.

#2 -- Settling down into my semi-comfy and well-worn theater seat, I was happy to see nobody had brought their newborn to the showing. A crying baby is worse than a cellphone going off. I also scanned the room to see if anyone bought any loud food items, like nachos. How a theater can sell such noisy food and then tell customers to keep quiet is beyond me. And luckily no one sat in the seat to my right, which would have made any right-leaning movement restrictive
This movie shall be glorious. I feel like a little kid again,” whispered my new friend. I think this might be the highlight of his week. Probably his month. He probably doesn’t get out much at his age. That stinks. I don’t want to get old. I want to be young forever, and free– 
He starts conversing again, so I jump back to reality and listen.

Then I’m happy to see the lights start to dim, freeing me from our conversation. A hush falls over the crowd, and the seemingly endless parade of upcoming movie trailers commence. I’m thankful the trailers seem to hold my interest, as everyone else’s. Every person seems fixated on the gigantic screen, not a word was even whispered. I’m positive some people turned into zombies at one point, just staring and quietly moaning at the epic scenes of some trailers. It was quite amusing really. 
All I kept thinking was how unbelievable this film was about to be. It had to be. The directors made me a promise. Well, not to me personally, but I took it as just that. It was necessary this film blow everyone away or the chances of the sequel being produced would lessen. And then we would be left with only a memory of the first and the crushed hope of more to come.

After the appetizer of trailers finished, the screen went black, the crowd garnered a collective hush of excitement, and then the film began. 
And just like that, someone’s cellphone went off. Great. 

#3 -- I  told myself I would take a small break from my studies of education to enjoy a movie. I would get there, watch it, enjoy it, and then leave to head back to my studio. But with my sincerepersonality and ability to seem to never say no, I suppose this is why I am now sitting at the theater cafe with my “newfound friend.” So much for my personal plan I had set. 
The old man was chatting away, again; this time it was his life and his quirky little activities he enjoyed. He mentioned something about collecting stamps and something about spelunking. Spelunking? I wondered alone to myself. Sounds weird. Almost intriguing. I asked him. Or would have asked if the man would stop to take a breath. For an old man, he sure could talk up a storm.

When he finally stopped to sip on his drink, I chimed in with some conversation, which led to questions about college. “I’m studying English; I adore writing. From my early days to now, I see such a vast improvement in my writing development. I like short stories the best.” 
“English huh? Where you make up stories and use big fancy words like onomatopoeia?” He chuckled. “But, ah college, I never went,” he continued. “No need for me. I started a business with my own two hands.” He put his hands up, looking at them. “Huge success I tell you. Time and heart were the greatest investment I ever made in that business. Besides the money and great product of course.” He smiled. 
I started to really enjoy the company of this new stranger. He reminded me of my grandfather who passed away last year. We were incredibly close. Of course this man sitting across from me couldn’t feel that void, but he sure was nice to be around. 
Just then I looked down at my watch. Oh damn, it’s almost midnight. I better get home and study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews