09 January 2012

CULTURED: Getting to Know - All Hail the Queen + a Free Tee


All Hail the Queen, a newer up-and-coming Chicago-based clothing brand onto the scene held an end of the year contest for their fans and followers. Being allured by the possibility of winning something free while at the same time promoting the brand, I threw a tweet into the contest. And as luck would have it, I won the ultimate prize - a free shirt. The infant brand has only two current shirts right now for sell, but are in the process of clearing them out for new designs so they're both down to $9.99 as we speak!

I received my winning prize in the mail the other day and thought instead of just talking about the shirt, I would also include an interview with the two brothers behind the brand and gain a little insight into the brand, where it came from, and where it hopes to go. So without further ado, I present to you, All Hail The Queen. Be sure to follow them on Twitter and be a fan on Facebook!


First off, why don't you introduce yourself and how the brand came about? (the backstory I suppose)
All Hail the Queen was started by 2 brothers from the suburbs of Chicago, IL. Both brothers have previously been very involved in the independent clothing, music, and sports industry. Myself, the older brother, was an amateur paintball player when I launched my first independent clothing line that I maintained for 4 years. My brother was a lead singer of an experimental hardcore band based out of Chicago. Prior to the band breaking up to pursue a higher education the band released 1 EP and played numerous venues around the city including being invited to play at the Congress Theater. Based on our interests and previous experiences we decided with no hesitation to reenter the industry with a strong involvement in all the industries of prior interest.
What is the inspiration behind the brand's name, All Hail the Queen, and what does it symbolize to you?
This might come as a shocker, but our intent was never to appeal directly to a/the Queen or European hierarchies either for that matter. We simply wanted a brand that displayed the same characteristics and perception that a Queen would display. We realize the name has quite the direct correlation to royalty and we still design each aspect of AHtQ to reflect as such, but without giving away too much, we are rebranding AHtQ in 2012 just a little. Our brand’s mission will still be to promote a positive and fashionable outlook as everyone is addressed as their own individual, just with a little more edge to it.
Where do you see the brand going this year and in the coming years? Any long-term goals you're working towards?
As I just hinted at in the previous question, we are gearing up for some new and exciting things in 2012, as we really want to be an active force within the indie sports, music, and clothing scene. AHtQ is undergoing a slight make-over as we establish the brand more, and it is going to take some time as we hammer out all the details but it is still exciting none the less. We are focusing on strong community interaction as being in the indie clothing industry is not just developing our individuality but rather growing together as a family. So keep checking back with us for news to come!
Best advice someone has given you? Any advice for those out there trying to start their own brands?
Being that I’ve once started a fairly successful indie brand before, I kind of knew what to expect during the beginning months but that was almost 8 years ago and things have changed. The industry has grown exponentially, which is exciting to see all the new takes on indie fashion but it also means it’s a little more difficult to establish a new brand. If I were to give some advice to someone entering the scene, I’d tell them not to give up; the beginning is always the hardest/slowest. I’d tell them to be active and engage not only with fans & supporters but with other brands as well as we are all welcoming individuals.
In your opinion, do you feel AHTQ does anything different that helps them stand out from other brands? For example, you guys have a wax stamp [pictured left] to seal the letters you send out; that's a pretty awesome thing.
credit: All Hail the Queen
Thank you for the compliment my friend, and yes, our authentic wax sealed letters are part of our branding which we hope helps us stand out. We are growing up in an era where it is no longer about the social norm, but rather the spirit of free individuality. Our brand tries to take that individuality and throw our own spin on it as seen in our AHtQ Crest tee. We took a family crest, which marks a family’s history and upbringing, and we threw a little new age style to it marking pride and strength. Our theme of royalty is very popular within today’s culture and we feel as though our strict attention to detail and authentic marking will eventually set precedence for the brands outlook.  
How do you feel the Internet/social media has helped (or even hurt) your brand?
My brother is the social media guru and he has introduced myself and the brand to many outlets which I believe has aided not only the brand but the entire industry. I believe social media is a thing of beauty and I attribute many relationships and supporters directly to our social media interactions. We love to engage with all our followers, fan, and friends so please – hit us up!
Design of the tee I won.
If you weren't running AHTQ, what would you be doing instead?
To be honest, I miss my days of paintball. I probably, if I had more time, get back into the sport.
What inspires you or motivates you? Who do you take inspiration from or look up to?
It’s quite funny to think about, but Johnny Cupcakes at the time of my initial clothing line launch was still a novelty just not as well established. My previous business partner and I looked up to the brand and strong fan base for motivation but watching the brand grow over the last 8 years has been better than a good movie. I’m nothing more but a lover for indie clothing and seeing what JC has accomplished and the appreciation his fan base has for him since 2003 brings a smile to my face. He is an icon and personally motivates me to keep positive. 

Total Pageviews